LEARNING POLISH IN NSW FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
Ensuring continuity in languages education is a persistent, all pervasive and
largely unsolved issue.
POLISH STAGE 6. Students develop communication skills, learn about languages as systems and explore the relationship between language and culture. The POLISH CONTINUERS STAGE 6 course provides opportunities for students to develop their skills and knowledge of Polish. Through tasks associated with a range of texts and text types, students gain an insight into the culture and language of Polish-speaking communities through the study of a range of texts. See the 2020 written exam timetable here
View the STAGE 6 section for more information.
POLISH STAGES 4 and 5. The study of 100 hours of one language over one continuous 12-month period is mandatory between Years 7-10, but preferably in Years 7-8 (STAGE 4). Students may also elect a language course in STAGE 5. In STAGE 5, students extend their ability to communicate and strengthen their understanding of the nature of language, culture and the processes of communication.
Saturday School of Community Languages (POLISH STAGES 4 and 5 and POLISH CONTINUERS STAGE 6):
- The lessons are free of charge
- They’re for 7 - 12 students of all kind of schools – government, catholic and private
- Polish is being offered at three SSCL Centres in Sydney:
– Ashfield Boys HS
– Chatswood HS
– Liverpool Girl HS
- Lessons are conducted every Saturday during school terms
– for juniors Y7 – Y10 from 8.30 till 10.30
– for seniors, Y11 and Y12 from 8.30 till 11.45 (15 min break at 10.30)
- In some justified cases (compulsory sport activities, long distance) there is a possibility of studying by correspondence. This must be indicated while filling out the enrollment form.
- Polish is regarded as one of the elective subjects in junior high school
- When selected for the HSC Polish is regarded as any of 2 Unit subjects. It is valued as 20% for the University Admission (ATAR)
- Saturday School of Community Languages (SSCL)
T: Telephone02 7814 2115
< https://saturdaycl-h.schools.nsw.gov.au/about-our-school/principals_message.html >
- < https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/portal/nesa/11-12/stage-6-learning-areas/stage-6-languages/continuers/polish-continuers-syllabus >
- SBS Polish radio: Studying Polish in High School in Australia
< https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/audio/studying-polish-in-high-school-in-australia >
- SBS Polish radio: Nauka j.polskiego w Australii w szkole średniej